February 23rd marks National Banana Bread day and so of course I had to celebrate. Instead of sticking to my tradiontal banana bread. I added blueberries and a cinnmon almond crunch on top. Delicious.
Blueberry Banana BreadIngredients: 1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour 1 tsp baking soda 1/2 tsp salt 3 large very ripe bananas peeled and mashed- I rarely have extremely ripe bananas…instead I take mostly ripe bananas, put them in a pan and roast them at 375 for about 20 minutes, peel the skin, use the juice and perfection soon arrives) 2/3 cup blueberries (frozen and warmed with 1/4 cup sugar in a pan for about 3 minutes or until sugar is dissolved 8 TBS (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly 2 large eggs 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar 1 tsp vanilla extract Directions:
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 8 1⁄2 by 4 1⁄2-inch loaf pan with butter
- Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt together in large bowl.
- Mash bananas
- Whisk in butter, eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla. Add blueberries and give a gentle mix.
- Pour banana mixture into flour mixture and stir until just combined with some streaks of flour remaining. Scrape batter into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle sliced almonds that have been mixed with 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and 1 tsp of sugar
- Bake until toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean, ~60 minutes.
- Cool bread in pan on wire rack 15 minutes, then remove loaf from pan and continue to cool on wire rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature (with a little butter)